Do you love shortbread cookies? Do you love red velvet? If the answer to both of those questions is yes, then you are probably my soulmate. Shortbread cookies are always my favorite Christmastime treat and so I knew sooner or later I would need to bake my own version! When I was looking for baking inspiration online I found a Buzzfeed post about red velvet and finally educated myself as to what a red velvet baked good actually entails. (Basically it’s just vague chocolatey flavoring and some red food dye). That’s when the idea for these cookies was born: Red velvet shortbread cookies! Doesn’t that combination just sound like a match made in heaven?
Making these cookies was a little more complicated than I anticipated. I used the electric mixer (which is a life saving tool) but the dough took a long time to form and I ended up having to knead it with my hands a lot. This led to my hands looking bloody and scary for the next day because of all the food coloring that was in the dough!
Regardless, the cookies did eventually come out! I had mixed reviews of this recipe, some people LOVED it and chowed down a few in a row (myself included) while some people let me know that they were, “good… but not your best ever”. I think it all comes down to a personal preference for cookie types so I wasn’t too offended by the objectors. Personally, I think they were delicious!
The real fun part of this recipe came when I decided to “drizzle” white chocolate on top of the cookies once they cooled. This is where my inexperience in the kitchen definitely revealed itself. I melted white chocolate in the microwave and made several valiant efforts to “drizzle” it on the cookies, but the chocolate just would not cooperate! No matter how much I willed it to be melty and yummy looking with gentle coaxing, the chocolate did not want to come off the spoon and instead stayed solid like a stubborn child. In the end I decided to just put a little button of white chocolate in the center of each cookie, it kind of looked artsy so I pretended that it was my plan all along… (shhhh don’t tell!)
RED VELVET SHORTBREAD COOKIES
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
Red liquid food coloring
1/4 cup white chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
2. In an electric mixer combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder and salt
3. Cut in butter and add in food coloring (until desired redness is reached), it will start to have a crumb-like texture
4. Knead with hands until the dough forms into a round ball
5. Roll out the dough to a 1/4 inch thickness and cut out cookies with a cookie cutter (or the top of a glass if you lack supplies like me)
6. With the scraps continue to roll out the dough until you have used all of it
7. Bake cookies for 18-20 minutes
8. Once cooled, melt your white chocolate and attempt a pretty “drizzle” (good luck!)